HERE for the Google Reader source" />

« Home | Urban Foundry » | Elizabeth Thomson »

Cappellini

Cappellini is just up the street from Urban Foundry, near Cream, another interior design store. Everyone clusters in this way, forming small pockets around the city. Fortune Centre, for example, is a shopping complex with three floors devoted to health food shops and restaurants. I live right over a row of bridal wear shops that wind their way around this street and down the parallel street behind me.

Cappellini is part of a chain of stores based in Italy. Some of the designs are reminiscent of Urban Foundry but it seems on the whole more colorful. Like most upscale interior design stores, it straddles a world where furniture is meant to be used and a parallel world where furniture appears in galleries and museums and is meant entirely for viewing.

I did see a few items that I really like (these are taken from the website so I need to verify that they are available at the Singapore location—I’m sure that you can order them.) One of these is lounge chair that may support two people:


(two pargraphs deleted)

I need to go back to Cappellini and try to locate this chair. If it turns out that I'm wrong and the chair does not support two people, then I take everything back.

6 October 2006: Bah, the chair has been discontinued. At the same time, I took another look at this:



It does not look like much from this photo, but there are thick green zippers that run between each of the cubes, making it modular. The sales representative said that people typically use the zippers when moving the unit around because it makes it easy to transport and wedge through doorways. That's nice, but I'd like to get six sofas and make a sofa monster. Armchair units are also sold. The off-white fabric might also make an effective diffuser. I want my zip-in lamp!

Cappellini: via MOD.Living Pte Ltd, 331 North Bridge Road, Singapore 65.6336.2286